Wind Dir: SSW (210°)
Wind Speed: 23 knots
Wind Gust: 29 knots
AT Ps: 29.94 in (1014.0 mb)
Air Temp: 81°F (27.3°C)
Dew Point: 76°F (24.7°C)
Water Temp: 80°F (26.8°C)

New to bay fishing could use a hand.
There are currently 651 Guests and 12 Members online NOW!
NC - 10 , GA - 1 , AL - 1 ,

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch  SearchNew Forum Posts 

New to bay fishing could use a hand.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SaltwaterCentral.Com Forum Index -> Mid Atlantic Inshore Fishing Reports
Midvalley

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 7:43 pm    Post subject: New to bay fishing could use a hand. Reply with quote

Hello guys im rather new to the whole saltwater side of things. I went on vacation to Chincoteague last year fished 7 days off shore and piers caught a few skates and a tiny shark. I was going for flounder or anything edible really lol. Anyway does anyone here have experience in the Chincoteague area that woukd lend me some pointers. I do have a boat now a 19 1/2 foot Cobia and i know their are reefs there somewhere but im clueless as to how to get to them. Anyone could give me some pointers here id really appreciate it. Thanks for reading guys.  
seapro180
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not familiar with the area but. When i first started out i did 2 things.

#1) go to google earth and pull up the area you will be fishing. You can zoom in close enough where it will show you channels, deep holes, rock jetties, etc. Find docks that have deep water around them and anything else that may have structure. If you find for example, a marsh island with a big dark spot and light area everywhere else around it, that tells you there is a deep hole there or the water is deeper. I have found of some of my best flounder producing spots this way. If you put your moise over the area and click on it it will tell you the coordinates. Write them down and punch them in on your chartplotter. Once you have several spots found, wet the boat and go to them and try them.

#2) the dnr for your state will have a list of all the ar reefs and such with their coordinates.

Best recommendation is #1. I have found MANY fishing spots using google earth that continually produce fish.

Midvalley

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks alot Seapro. Awesome tip. Trust me i can and will use it.  
cloflinnc
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don's tackle shop is a fantastic resource for the area. He will help you with what to use, how to rig it, fish it & where to go. He is located on Wachapreague Rd. It's a pretty easy task to catch enough to eat fish everyday of the year in that part of the world.

12ga
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Midvalley;;; What seapro posted is very good info and I will also add ;; if you're venturing into new unfamiliar waters do so on a dead low tide and go very slow , note where the humps , oyster beds , and deeper channels are . A camera is very useful also to help remember what they look like on higher tides...Going slow and at low tide also makes for a shorter wait should you ground out and have to wait for deeper water to float you off....
Go catch em up and post results wtg

Midvalley

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for taking the time to reply to me. All the pointers are greatly appreciated.  
Midvalley

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone been to the blackfish banks reefs in chincoteague that could help me with some directions.  

Insure with the Best in the Business

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SaltwaterCentral.Com Forum Index -> Mid Atlantic Inshore Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 4 Hours

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: