August 5, 2014
Gulf of Mexico Fishery Management Council to Meet in Biloxi, Mississippi
The Gulf of Mexico Fishery Management Council will meet August 25 - 28, 2014, at the Beau Rivage 875 Beach Boulevard, Biloxi, Mississippi.
Committee meetings will convene Monday at 1:00 pm, concluding Wednesday at noon.
Some of the Committee highlights include:
The Red Drum Management Committee, which will review a scoping document for Recreational Red Drum Management.
The Reef Fish Management Committee will meet to:
- Discuss Gag Overfishing Limit and Acceptable Biological Catch;
- Review Public Comments and take Final Action on the Red Snapper Accountability Measures Framework Action;
- Review the Socioeconomic SSC Summary Report;
- Discuss Amendment 40 - Recreational Red Snapper Sector Separation and Review Public Comments;
- Review a Draft Greater Amberjack ACL/ACT Framework Action;
- Review a Draft Red Grouper Bag Limit & Accountability Measures Framework Action;
- Discuss IFQ Updates;
- Hear a summary of the South Florida Regional Management Meeting;
- Receive Summaries of the 2014 State Red Snapper Recreational Sampling Programs;
- Discuss ABC Control Rule Revisions;
- Review the Reef Fish SSC Summary;
- Review the Reef Fish AP Summary; and
- Review the Red Snapper AP Summary.
Other committees meeting include:
- Shrimp Management Committee to discuss Shrimp Amendment 16.
- Data Collection Committee to receive an update on the Electronic Logbook Pilot Program.
Tuesday evening beginning at 6:00 pm in the Council meeting room, NOAA Fisheries will hold a Town Hall discussion on recreational policy.
The full Council will convene Wednesday at 1:30 pm to receive the following presentations:
- National Recreational Policy
- Red Snapper Federal Violations
- IFQ Undercover Operation
- New Cooperative Research Effort
- Update on the RESTORE Act Science Program.
The Council will again hold an Evening Public Comment Session Wednesday, from
5:30 pm - 8:30 pm.
The full Council will resume Thursday at 8:30 am to deliberate and take action on committee recommendations made earlier in the week. Before adjourning, the Council will hold the election of the Chair and Vice Chair. The meeting will conclude by 4:15 pm Thursday.
For a copy of the detailed agendas, or to watch the meeting live, please visit http://gulfcouncil.org/council_meetings/index.php or call 888-833-1844. Briefing materials can be downloaded from the Council FTP site at https://public.gulfcouncil.org:5001/webman/index.cgi - username and password are both gulfguest.